Evolution Championship Series (Evo), is fast approaching. But, the format of the first pools changed. Traditionally only one player from winners and one from losers emerge from each pool. Yet, this year there will be four competitors moving on from each group. Pools will feature 20 competitors. Two players from winners and two from losers will continue on. These changes affect Street Fighter V, both Smash Bros. games, and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2. Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and The King of Fighters XIV will have three competitors move on. UMVC3 and BlazBlue: Central Fiction, will have two players moving on from each pool.
According to SRKRanking there are 6797 unique players entered into the tournament – from 53 countries. Evo draws players from across the globe to compete. This year is a marked decrease in attendance. But last year’s Evo was a turning point for the FGC. The series had a record attendance.
For more on the decline of attendance this year check out this article by Kevin Slackie.
In addition to the competition, there will be a host of new playable titles available to those who attend. Gundam Versus, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, and ARIKA fighting game will be there. Dragon Ball FighterZ will also have a side tournament hosted by Bandai Namco. Future Trunks will not be playable in the build at Evo. But, the available characters will be Cell, Frieza, Gohan, Goku, Buu, and Vegeta.
To search for your own handle or that of your favorite player, you can look through brackets here. With the large attendance numbers, there are plenty of big names traveling to compete. Here are just some of the big names that will be at Evo 2017:
Street Fighter V –
- RB|Bonchan – Nash stalwart who recently won Battle Arena Melbourne 9.
- PG|Punk – Considered one of the best players in the world right now, his personality and disrespect are iconic.
- Liquid|NuckleDu – He’s not been as dominant lately but his Guile is always a threat.
- RZR|Xian – Possibly the most creative SFV player, his Ibuki and FANG tech is limitless.
- RZR|Infiltration – Recently took time off to get married. Infiltration is back!
Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) –
- TSM|Zero – From 2014-2015 Zero got 56 consecutive tournament wins.
- Echo Fox|MKLeo – The top Mexican player, he plays Cloud, Marth, and Meta Knight.
- NRG|Nairo – Young but strong, his Zero Suit Samus is the best in the world.
Super Smash Bros. Melee –
- [A]|Armada – Top-ranked Melee competitor since 2015, Armada’s Peach and Fox are impressive.
- Liquid|Hungrybox – The Jigglypuff player is a close second to Armada.
- C9|Mang0 – From SoCal, Mang0 has been rising through the ranks.
- TSM RB|Leffen – He has the most technical Fox in the world.
Tekken 7 –
- Echo Fox|SAINT – The current Tekken 7 Evo champion.
- EchoFox|JDCR – JDCR is the most traveled Tekken 7 player.
- HZRDS|Fuko La Muerte – A consistent performer with the ability to rival the best.
Injustice 2 –
- SonicFox – SonicFox’s Deadshot and Black Adam look almost unstoppable.
- Slayer – At CEO 2017 Slayer played SonicFox and came out victorious.
- Circa|Forever King – With skill in all of NetherRealm’s fighting games, Forever King has a chance of being included in the finals at Evo.
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 –
- Dogura – Top level competitor who competes with the best in both SFV and Guilty Gear.
- DH|Ogawa – Insanely technical player who controls the complicated Zato-1 with ease.
- Go1 – Strong SFV player, who also has a deep knowledge of Guilty Gear.
- KVOxTSB|OMITO – Johnny player who consistently finishes in top 8.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 –
- EG|NYChrisG – The New York native has remained one of the most dominant players in the world.
- PG|RayRay – Another legendary player who has competed in over 60 MvC3 tournaments since 2012.
- InC|Flux – Zero/Vergil/Dante player, at CEO he only netted a top 16 finish but he has the ability.
- RyanLV – Iconic for his against-all-odds top level Chun-Li play, a character not seen as viable.
BlazBlue: Central Fiction –
- PG|SKD – Won 8 tournaments from 2014 to 2015, before taking a short break. He’s back!
- Fable|Kizzie Kay – With only top 8 finishes at premier events, Kizzie Kay will be a contender.
- Nakkiel – One of the best American players of BlazBlue.
The King of Fighters XIV –
- ARCADESHOCK|REYNALD – Has remained a top King of Fighters player for years.
- Qanba X Do|Xiaohai – Better known for his Street Fighter play, Xiaohai is a real competitor in KoF.
- Romance – Widely considered one of the best KoF players in the world.
- VegasKoF|El Rosa – A Ramon player who pushes the envelope.
If you’re a competitor entered into Evo and have any problems with the brackets, the organizers have made a feedback system you can find here. This system is an attempt to have players compete against a wide variety of others. If a player is against other players from their region, they may want a change in their pool. Scheduling conflicts are also dealt with here.